1914 Basing Query

For all discussion on what we're up to next and what plans we have for the future.

1914 Basing Query

Postby Hawk eye » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 am

Hi

Chatted to you guys at Salute this year - your 1914 Rules looks awesome (I’m a massive fan of Iron Cross as well) and i’m keen to get started but I just wanted to double check base sizes with you.

My 12mm infantry are based on 30 x 50 mm base and each base holds 10 figures.

Note the rules state a base size 50 x 25 mm with each base holding 4 figures representing a company. 4 companies = a battalion.

I really don’t want the hassle of rebasing figures. The impression I get from reading reviews online is that base sizes don’t really matter if both sides follow - which makes sense. I just wanted to double check this point with you please?

Also, if it’s ok to play this way (10 figures on a base representing a company) do I need to alter any of the other base sizes in the Rules eg:

Machine gun - 25 x 25 mm ( 1 mg)
Cavalry regiment - 50 x 25 mm ( 3 models)
Artillery - 50 x 50 mm (1 gun)

Many thanks

Hawk
Hawk eye

Re: 1914 Basing Query

Postby Mark at GEG » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 am

Hi Hawk,

As long as both sides are using the same bases then they don't really matter. The number of bases is important though, so make sure you match the numbers of bases to the formations.

We went for the sizes that we have as much for how they looked on the gaming table as anything else.

Mark
Mark at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Hawk eye » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:47 am

Hi Mark

Thanks for this - I must admit that base sizes were causing a bit of anxiety as I wasn't looking forwarding to prising the figures off their bases and re-basing!

Can you help with another minor query to do with Reinforcements please?

On page 10 it states "An active player may declare Reinforcements for an infantry battalion in lieu of a Morale Test. Roll a d6: on a score of 1-2 the test fails; on a score of 3-6 the player removes all morale markers from the unit and also must remove one of the bases. This is replaced by a base of reinforcements."

Why does a base have to be removed and what happens to it? Does it just go into the pool of units held back as future reinforcements or is the base permanently removed from the game?

I'm probably overthinking this but surely reinforcements would consolidate the force already in position rather than weaken it which seems to be the affect here?

Grateful for your advice as this is really puzzling me!

Cheers

Hawk
Hawk eye

Postby Mark at GEG » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 am

Hello,

So the Reinforcements is to represent the troops which are most battered etc being removed from the line and being replaced by fresher troops. So you remove one of the bases from the table and then replace it with a base of reserves from your Order of Battle. The troops that have been removed are then gone for the remainder of the battle. They're probably not all dead etc it's just for this battle they're no longer an effective fighting element.

Hope this makes sense.

Mark
Mark at GEG
Site Admin

Return to What's next?