Vehicle MGs

For rules questions, discussions and tactical insights.

Vehicle MGs

Postby grompix » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Our club has been playing Iron Cross since it's inception and an excellent set of rules it is too. It's just occurred to me we might be playing vehicle hull MGs all wrong though. Can an AFV (a Sherman for instance): -
a) Fire one turret weapon (main armament or co-axial MG) and then fire the hull MG as an MG support weapon (this is how we have been playing it)
b) Only fire one weapon (of choice)
c) Fire as a tank with weapon rating of 7 or higher (ignoring MGs as assuming any MG fire is already factored in)
d) Something else?
Regards
Chris :roll:
grompix

Re: Vehicle MGs

Postby mellis1644 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm

I always have played it as b. So you either fire the main gun or the MG, (assuming the tank has MG's - some do not but it's not listed in the stats), not both. But I'm not the author.

However, I keep tweaking the system as infantry seem a little too resilient in the games we play (which can be infantry and terrain heavy). My latest attempt is that if the target is not a vehicle within 12" then on a successful casualty role you get to role again and keep adding additional morale tokens till you fail to add them.

This makes infantry in close range quite vulnerable but gets rid of the 'lives forever'/hard to kill infantry squads.
Check out my blog at: https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
mellis1644

Postby grompix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks mellis1644 - you do things similar to us then regarding vehicle MGs.
It would be good to get a view from one of the authors/play-testers.
Interesting tweak re close-range fire. might give that one a go.
Thanks again
Chris ;)
grompix

Postby mellis1644 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:55 pm

For my games we found that infantry just did not die compared to vehicles and especially with fall backs and company morale checks a large infantry vs. infantry bash seemed to drag and never get completed. We had several games which just felt wrong with infantry in multiple turn combats. Ended up not being that much fun especially compared to large vehicle games. We do play with infantry heavy forces at times on decent sized tables in 15mm.

So what I do is if the target is not a vehicle and within 12" (close range) then all the standard rules apply. In addition, if at least one additional morale token was added in the initial D6 converting hit phase (the casualty roll) then you roll again always with a single D6 to see if you can do an additional hit. These additional casualty rolls continue until either you fail a roll or the unit is destroyed. The target of the roll is the same as the initial casualty roll.

So taking the example on page 10 of the rules. After the 2 morale tokens have been put on the target as normal then another D6 is rolled. If this is a 4+ then a 3rd morale token is added to the target and the die is roll again still wanting 4+. Then another D6 would be rolled to see if a 4th was to be added. Each success adds a token till the roll fails or the target is destroyed.

This just means that when at close range things can get quite a bit more deadly for infantry and especially smaller teams. The odds are that not that many extra hits are added but the extra time rolling is outweighed by the tension of it and the fact that things die quicker.

We also say it touching then both count as in the open. This also makes smoke more useful as moving close to opponents without it can be deadly.
Check out my blog at: https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
mellis1644

Return to The Rules