Overwatch and disembark reaction.

The company to battalion level game from GEG.

Re: Overwatch and disembark reaction.

Postby gozzaoz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:46 pm

I could not disagree more!
The side who does not have the initiative is reacting to the initiative players current activate unit.
By using the reacting process to suddenly become the player with the initiative and activating a unit not involved is corrupting the rules procedure.
The writers (I'm guessing only) used the word reacting to instruct the player that he is reacting to a specific action of the initiative player. Otherwise you may as well have a IGOUGO play sequence where anything goes on your move.
That said, you paid for the rulebook if you want to rules lawyer them to death because the rule wording doesn't explicitly say you can't do something. That's your prerogative. :)
gozzaoz

Postby Cptkremmen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:05 am

I'm the last person to be a rules lawyer!

I am sure it was said officially somewhere that a reacting unit does not have to be the target of the action

We have had several instances where an inf unit acts and a non targeted mg team reacts to shoot them

Must say I don't think we have ever had an instance where someone reacts in a different part of the board with no link to the acting unit. I presume that is what you mean. Not sure if allowed but we would not I think allow it.

Andy
Cptkremmen

Postby Darkman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:56 am

I could not disagree more!
The side who does not have the initiative is reacting to the initiative players current activate unit.
By using the reacting process to suddenly become the player with the initiative and activating a unit not involved is corrupting the rules procedure.
The writers (I'm guessing only) used the word reacting to instruct the player that he is reacting to a specific action of the initiative player. Otherwise you may as well have a IGOUGO play sequence where anything goes on your move.
That said, you paid for the rulebook if you want to rules lawyer them to death because the rule wording doesn't explicitly say you can't do something. That's your prerogative. :)

So as it says in the rules (as written not made up) that a player can react to a CMT then which unit would he react with? As the
CMT can apply to any unit. So using my example if instead of bringing on reserves the active player did a CMT then the reacting player would be able to move and shoot his tank. Or do you suggest that he waits to see which unit the CMT is for before he declares a reaction?
Darkman

Postby Darkman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:56 pm

Reactions.
In order to react against the activation of an enemy unit, must the activating unit be visible to at least one unit on the reacting side?
Does the reaction have to be performed by a unit that can see the activating unit? Or can any unit react?

Thanks
harikaridog Posts: 2Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:00 pm

No. Any unit may react to take any action, including a company morale test.

This is the reply given by Stuart in another post. So the reacting player can be do actions and not be reacted to.
Darkman

Postby skywatcher » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 am

Hi guys,

Played quite a few games now. When it comes to reacting, you can react with any of your units on the table, they can do any action.
The thing is, when playing, you only have a limited number of command tokens and you find that you are using them to save your units where the action is taking place! If you start activating units on the other side of the table that are not involved, you soon start to lose your guys who are in the fire fight. :shock: There's nothing stopping you doing this, you may feel that this will make your opponent break off his current attack to deal with the new threat. But as I said, you'll find yourself concentrating all your efforts where the action is. We had units left at the back of the table because we couldn't spare command tokens to move them forward! :o These units acted like a reserve, once our forward troops had weakened the enemy and taken a battering themselves, we pulled them back and advanced our fresh troops to finish off the job. Worked brilliantly and played superbly. The best, most fun WWII game I've played in ages. I've found that a lot of the problems brought up on this forum don't seem to be an issue when you're playing the game, if they are to you, then a simple house rule usually fixes it.

Cheers Rich.
skywatcher

Postby Keithandor » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 am

I like this idea , if I wanted to get my infantry to cross a street , I could wait for my opponent to take an action no where near the street I want to run across , I can interrupt , activate my infantry 3+ , run across the street into cover and he cant do anything about it ?
Keithandor

Previous

Return to Iron Cross