Overwatch and disembark reaction.

The company to battalion level game from GEG.

Re: Overwatch and disembark reaction.

Postby Darryl Morton » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Hmmm...good question. I think that if you have declared that you are going to react, then you should have to spend the command token regardless of what your opponent has done.

You can always make up a suitable narrative to suit the situation e.g. your AT gun anticipates that an enemy tank is going to rush across a gap but gets a bit excited and fires too early. Hearing the shell whiz past, the tank commander thinks twice about moving and stays hidden in cover.

cheers

Darryl
Darryl Morton

Postby Cptkremmen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:51 pm

What we do is let the active player roll before the reactive player so the reactive just does nothing if the active player fails

I don't think this is the official way of doing it but it works for us
Cptkremmen

Postby Alan Charlesworth » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Cptkremmen wrote:What we do is let the active player roll before the reactive player so the reactive just does nothing if the active player fails

I don't think this is the official way of doing it but it works for us

That's the way I have been playing it too. It seems to work well.
Alan Charlesworth

Postby Stuart at GEG » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Not if there is nothing to react to!
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Gimgamgoo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 am

Darryl Morton wrote:Hmmm...good question. I think that if you have declared that you are going to react, then you should have to spend the command token regardless of what your opponent has done.

Well, when we play, the reacting player has to spend the command token if they'd said they would react. However, if the active player fails their activation, the reacting player who has spent their command token can still roll to react. This allows them a move/shoot and gives them a chance to seize the initiative with a 6.

I'm not certain it was right, but if the reacting player is spending a command token, they get the chance to activate. I suppose you could say "but there's nothing to react to". True, but we kind of used it as preemptive maneuver. :-)
My painting blog: http://gimgamgoo.com
Noob to WW2 gaming since Summer 2015
Gimgamgoo

Postby pbeccas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 pm

I hope the answer is 1. But rules as written look like its 2.
pbeccas

Postby Darkman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 am

Hi all.
Interesting posts so far. When I started topic I mentioned no opportunity too overwatch. Some people have said that you don't need it as you can react. However you cannot react if you are active player.
Example I have an anti-tank gun looking down a road. I would like to put it on overwatch in case something moves down or across it. As I have to do something I move a unit on to the table from reserve. My opponent says he will react to this by moving his tank to the road and shoot my anti-tank gun. Now I cannot do anything because I am the active player.

Any thoughts
Darkman

Postby Darryl Morton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi Darkman

In the example you have given, I would say that your opponent cannot shoot your AT gun in response to your reserves moving on. The point of the interruption rule is to react to something that the active player is doing. Your AT gun is not doing anything, so I wouldn't allow a shot against it.

I've just re-read the Reacting rules on page 6 and it doesn't actually say that, but that is the intent behind the rule. This can further be inferred from the Changing Target rule on page 7.

cheers

Darryl
Darryl Morton

Postby Darkman » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:38 pm

In the example you have given, I would say that your opponent cannot shoot your AT gun in response to your reserves moving on. The point of the interruption rule is to react to something that the active player is doing. Your AT gun is not doing anything, so I wouldn't allow a shot against it.

I've just re-read the Reacting rules on page 6 and it doesn't actually say that, but that is the intent behind the rule. This can further be inferred from the Changing Target rule on page 7.

So what you are saying is that it is another forgotten or ill worded rule. I the reaction part of the rules it states that you can react to a company morale test. How can you do that as the CMT can apply to any unit on the table. I think somewhere in the forum there is a comment that you do not have to react to something that the reacting unit would interact with.
Darkman

Postby Cptkremmen » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I believe a react move can be anything, it does not have to relate to the action being taken by the active player
Cptkremmen

PreviousNext

Return to Iron Cross