Painting Renegade Indian skin tones

A place to discuss gang types, future gangs, alternate gangs and show us your pictures of your painted band of troublemakers!

Painting Renegade Indian skin tones

Postby Alfster » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Howdy,

What is the best method of getting a good skin tone for the American Indians. I cheated when doing the American Indian in the Desperado set by priming with a brown and simply not painting over the face and hands however I'd prefer to get a better more authentic skin tone for the whole set in the Renegades.

Thanks.
Alfster

Re: Painting Renegade Indian skin tones

Postby steveburt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Alfster wrote:Howdy,

What is the best method of getting a good skin tone for the American Indians. I cheated when doing the American Indian in the Desperado set by priming with a brown and simply not painting over the face and hands however I'd prefer to get a better more authentic skin tone for the whole set in the Renegades.

Thanks.

I use a normal European flesh tone and then wash with Daler-Rowney 'Antelope Brown' ink, which is a yellowish brown. It gives a lovely golden skin tone (and shading), perfect for American Indians and Asians.
steveburt

Postby Alfster » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. Looks like a trip to Hobbycraft soon! I do have the ArmyPainter tone washes but I don't think they will give the right tone that I need.

I had already dropped on a more European base tone with a view to maybe dry brushing some yellow and the brown over the top.
Alfster

Postby mindenbrush » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:37 am

I used Calvary Brown #982, Orange Brown #981, Goldbrown #877, Tan Yellow #912, Basic Skintone #815 Intermixed as I went.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1 ... -skintones
mindenbrush

Return to The Gangs