Old Hittite Kingdom

For the creation and debate of army lists created by you! Give us a structure and we can discuss and refine them. Especially good ones will make it to the "official" lists section of the CoE website.

Old Hittite Kingdom

Postby lerostratos » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:45 pm

(This is a list with a limited number of chariots on purpose : middle kingdom and hittite empire will use a lot of them, influenced by Mitannies. Royal Guard on foot should not deserve an all equipped two handed weapon so I put a mixed with long spear/shield)

Hittite Old Kingdom (c.1680 BCE – c.1525 BCE)
This list cover the period from the foundation of the Old Kingdom by Labarna I until Telipinu I who started the Middle Kingdom. The reign of Mursili I was the peak of military power of the Old Kingdom with the destruction of Alep, capital of the Syrian kingdom of Yamkhad, followed by the sack of Babylon (c.1595 BCE) and the end of the first Babylonian dynasty.
Historical ennemies of the Old Kingdom include : Arzawa (western Anatolia), Early Mitanni Empire, First Dynasty Babylonian , Early Syrian Kingdoms (Yamkhad).
A Hittite army must include a King or Prince and two units of Hittite spearmen. A Royal Guard is only possible if the King leads the army.

Strategy Rating : 2 Climat : Fertile

Army selection :
Command : Must include a general, may include two sub-commander with one Syrian sub-commander if any Syrian chariot unit is in the army
Core : Must include two unit of Hittite spearmen, may include up to 8 other core troop selections
Support : May include up to 6 support, the number of support and skirmish units must not exceed the number of core selections
Skirmish : May include up to 4 skirmish, the number of support and skirmish units must not exceed the number of core selections

Command

A Hittite army must include a general and may include up to two sub-commander with one allied syrian commander if any Syrian chariot is in the army.

General

KING : DL (9+2), ML (9+2), +2 Attacks, Army General, Mounted in a chariot, 60 pts.
PRINCE : DL (8+1), ML (8+1), +1 Attack, Army General, Mounted in a chariot, Free.

If there is no chariot in the army, king or prince may be on foot, and the cost is then reduced to 50 pts for the king.

To select Royal Guard, a King must be chosen to lead the army.

If Mursili Ier is king, he is mounted on chariot, cost 70 pts with agressive and tactician traits. One chariot unit is added as mandatory unit.

Up to two subcommander (*)

SUB-COMMANDER : DL (8+1), ML (8+1), +1 Attack, Mounted in a chariot, 65 pts.
If there is no chariot in the army, sub-commander is on foot, and the cost is reduced to 50 pts.

(*) If there is any Syrian chariots, one sub-commander is designed as « Syrian » : the « Allies » rule (page 101 of the COE rulebook) applies to him and he may use his ML and DL to any syrian units.

Core

Players may select up to 10 units from the Core section. At least 2 Hittite spearmen must be taken. If Mursili Ier leads the army, a chariot unit must also be chosen.

Hittite Spearmen
Models per unit : 18-40
Closed, MR 10, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 3, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 6, ML 7, 9pts
Weapons : Long or Throwing Spear and Hand weapon
Armour : None
Special Rules : None
Upgrades : could add shields, upgrading Arm to 6, at a cost of 1 per model. Throwing spears equipped unit may upgrade to include two handed weapons at a cost of 2pts per model in the unit. This entitles one quarter of the front rank attack dice to be with the weapon upgrade.

Other Anatolian or Hittite spearmen
Closed or Open, MR 10, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 3, Arm 6, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 5, ML 7, x pts
Weapons : Long or Throwing Spear and Hand Weapon
Armour : Shield
Upgrades : Javelins could be added at a cost of 1 per model.

Up to 1 Hittite 2-crew Light Chariots
Models per unit : 3-8
Open, MR 20, Shoot 3+, Attack 2, Hth 4, Arm 3+, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 7, ML 8, 60 pts
Armour : Light Armor, Shield
Special Rules : Fearsome
Upgrades : Composite Bows could be added, at a cost of x per model.

Support
For each unit selected in the core section, one unit may be selected from the Support section or Skirmish section. A maximum of 6 support may be chosen.

Up to 1 Royal Guards 2-crew Light Chariots
Open, MR 20, Shoot 3+, Attack 2, Hth 4, Arm 3+, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 8, ML 8, x pts
Special Rules : Fearsome, Bodyguard
Upgrades : Composite Bows could be added at a cost of x per model.
If this unit is chosen, King is always with the unit and gain Heroic Leader trait.

Up to 1 Royal Guards (if Royal Guards Chariots are not chosen)
Models per unit : 12-24
Closed, MR 10, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 4, Arm 6, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 7, ML 8, x pts
Weapons : Hand Weapon and Long Spear
Armour : Shields
Special Rules : Steady
Upgrades : The unit may replace long spears by two handed weapons at a cost of x pts per model in the unit. The unit may upgrade to bodyguard in which case King is with the unit and gain heroic leader trait and no chariot is included in the army.

Arzawa or Kizzuwatna vassal infantry
Closed or Open, MR 10, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 3, Arm 6, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 6, ML 6, x pts
Weapons : Hand Weapon and Javelins
Upgrades : may add Throwing Spear at a cost of 1 per model.

Anatolian Highlander
Models per unit : 20-30
Open, MR 12, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 3, Arm 6, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 6, ML 6, 9 pts
Weapons : Throwing Spear, Hand Weapon
Special Rules : Warband (Impetuous Rule 1 only)
Upgrades : None.

Up to 1 Syrian 2-crew Light Chariots
Open, MR 20, Shoot 3+, Attack 2, Hth 4, Arm 3+, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 7, ML 7, 58 pts
Weapons : Composite Bows and Hand Weapon
Special Rules : Allies, Fearsome
Upgrades : None

Up to 2 Syrian infantry
Models per unit : 15-30
Open, MR 10, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 3, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 7, ML 6, 8 pts
Weapons : Javelins or Throwing Spear and Hand Weapon
Special Rules : Allies
Upgrades : May add shields, upgrading Arm to 6, at a cost of 1 per model.

Up to 1 Syrian Archers
Models per unit : 15-30
Open, MR 12, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 2, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 6, ML 6, 8 pts
Weapons : Composite Bows, Hand Weapon
Special Rules : Allies

Up to 1 Chariot Runner per 2-crew Chariot unit
Models per unit : 8-15
Skirmish, MR 12, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 3, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 7, ML 7, 11 pts
Weapons : Javelins, Hand Weapon
Special Rules : Chariot Runner (Allies if Syrians)

Up to 2 units of levies
Models per unit : 20-50
Closed, MR 10, Shoot 5+, Attack 1, Hth 2, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 5, ML 5, 3 pts
Weapons : Javelins, Improvised Weapons
Special Rules : Levies

Skirmish
For each unit selected in the core section, one unit may be selected from the Support section or Skirmish section. A maximum of 4 Skirmish may be chosen.

Hittite, Syrian or Anatolian Javelinmen
Skirmish, MR 12, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 2, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 5, ML 5, 7 pts
Weapons : Javelins, Improvised Weapons

Hittite, Syrian or Anatolian Slingers
Skirmish, MR 12, Shoot 4+, Attack 1, Hth 2, Arm NA, Kill 4+, Hits 1, DL 5, ML 5, 7 pts
Weapons : Slings, Improvised Weapons
Upgrades : May replace slings with self bows at no cost.

Allies : None.

Hittites Allies
Allied army may take the following Hittite troops as allies. They do not have to take compulsory troops and they do not have to select core troops in order to gain access to support troops. They are otherwise bound to any restrictions in the parent list. Hittite allies are subject to the « Allies » special rule (see page 101 of the rulebook).

Up to 1 sub-commander
Up to 1 unit of Chariot
Up to 2 Hittite or Anatolian spearmen
Up to 1 Hittite or Anatolian javelinmen
Up to 1 Hittite or Anatolian Slinger

Lero
Last edited by lerostratos on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lerostratos

Re: Old Hittite Kingdom

Postby Lord Alisk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Dear Lero,

I must confess I know next to nothing about the Hittite Old Kingdom (or much at all before c. 500 BC), but the list seems fine to me - no obvious problems are apparent anyway! I am not sure what that is worth, but never mind...

Great work, and all best,

David.
Lord Alisk

Postby Darren Smith » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Great piece of work there lerostratos, i personally cant wait for an Early Mycenaean/Minoan list to become available. The Later Mycenaean one posted is too late for my collection. (i must post pictures if i can figure how!) :?
Darren Smith

Postby lerostratos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks to all. In fact the most known are the Hittites from the battle of Kadesh but it was long after these ones.
That's why they are quite limited with chariots and even have option not taking at all.
Most historians agreed about massive use of chariot with the early mitanni around 1580 BCE.
Big axes are recorded but mainly as religious symbol, that's why I limited them too and the dark ages two handed rules seems appropriate to me.
Syrians allies could be Byblos or Qatna that struggled with Yamkhad expansion (Alep kingdom), the major power that stopped Hittites to expand south or west (shortly after Alep falled, Hittires raided Babylon and destroyed the first babylonian empire).
One other list could be created, Early Syrian/Cannanean States (which could include Hyksos).
Lero
lerostratos

Postby lerostratos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:57 am

Made some changes.
Gave slings to slinger...
Add option of throwing spears to Anatolian Spearmen, but reduced their DL. Now they have free option of taking shields and after much hesitations cancelled steady option because I can't find sources showing Hittite as a superior infantry.
The option of limited two-handed weapons for this early hittites is conjectural but not unrealistic. It have the advantage of making the list quite different than the imperial one and gives a chance to a non-chariot early army list (this could be also open only to non-chariot list).
Lero
lerostratos

Postby tigerpoppy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 pm

there is a strong opinion that Hittite chariots had bow, similar to all other chariot units of the time.
tigerpoppy

Postby lerostratos » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 pm

I will put bow as standard for middle kingdom because of mitanni influence but this started around 1590 BCE with the building of the mitanni kingdom.
At this time, chariotry was not so common. I read about author talking about chariots with bow from the start of the hittite kingdom but other mentioned that Hittite may be not even used chariots at all (two opposite views). That's why I finally choose to let them as an option (use of chariot and bow options). Both options are unsure in fact !
The image of egyptian chariot bow-armed shooting platform was true from around 1550 BCE, influenced by their hyksos ennemies, that came from cannaan or lower syria. That's why I put bows with syrian chariots.
Lero (and thanks for your interest).
lerostratos

Postby tigerpoppy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 pm

A pleasure, I am interested in this period also. The bow issue came from a debate (argument) in the Society of Ancients when the battle of Kadesh was refought. But it does appear logical that they would have copied good ideas from their peers. However a programme focusing on the Hittite capital did reveal interesting "unique" qualities about the Hittites. Who would build a capital where they did on top of a rocky hill range with little agriculture, trade or other peoples nearby, very strange people.
tigerpoppy

Postby Stuart at GEG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Return to Forum Army Lists