Marius Romans

For feedback, questions and ideas about army lists from the rule book, website or sourcebooks

Marius Romans

Postby Dominatus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 am

Hi, I can't seem to find a specific Caesar (invasion of Gaul / Crassus vs Parthia etc.) period Roman Army list. As I don't yet own the main rule book I looked in the rule book preview pdf and at the Army lists on the site but couldn’t find one. Surely I'm going blind from painting to many miniatures.
Thanks in advance.
Dominatus

Re: Marius Romans

Postby Cubster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 am

You know what, I think you're right. There seems to be a 50yr-odd gap between the Late Republican and Early Imperial Roman lists. I don't know anything about the specifics of the period, so there's no point in me recommending either list for any specific campaign, but until there's something written up for Caesar, I think you just have to pay your money and make your choice on that (I'd go EIR, since it's post-Marius reforms, but then it's also pre-Augustus).

Not entirely satisfactory, but there's always the option of writing your own list and submitting it to GEG. Fame and immortality could be yours!
Cubster

Postby Mark at GEG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:01 pm

We have a draft one at the moment that is due to go up quite soon. Any contributions/ideas before it does would be most welcome.

Mark
Mark at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Dominatus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Great news, I look forward to it.
Dominatus

Postby Darren PATERSON » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 am

Any chance we will be seeing the Marian list up soon?

Cheers

Darren
Darren PATERSON

Postby Stuart at GEG » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 am

Yup, on the list for February.
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Mars Ultor » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:37 am

Any word on the Marian/Caesarean list? I know that things often take longer than expected, especially from a toolbox army list such as this.

An idea that I had for such a list [and I'm not an expert in the civil wars] was to have a core of legions (raw recruits, regulars, some veterans) and then to have the player pick a primary geographical region for support units with one or two selections from another secondary area to represent that they've campaigned there before too. General regions might be Spain, Africa, Gaul, Pontic areas (?), and "the East". Of course there are the ubiquitous mercenaries too that pop up almost everywhere (Cretans, Numidians, etc). But this might keep players from cherry picking the best of all regions (e.g., everyone with African elephants found mostly at Thapsus) and add a flavor to what might otherwise turn into an army list with "must haves" from all regions. And then if players want to simulate civil wars they have different army lists with various strengths and weaknesses.
Mars Ultor

Postby Stuart at GEG » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:13 pm

I'm hoping to get a few hours this week!
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Stuart at GEG » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Our Marian era army is going through the review process with just the allied sections to work out. It has a core of legionaries, with a little bit of cavalry, peltast and scorpio support. Allies can be quite tricky, naturally, given the expansion of the Republic at this time.
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Darren PATERSON » Tue May 31, 2016 10:51 pm

Ok- 11 month since the last reply re uploading the Marian Romans.

REALLY REALLY need a Marian Roman list soon.

How is it travelling? Any chance will be up soon?

Darren
Darren PATERSON

Next

Return to Army List Discussion