min. number of different troops in combined units

Specifically for question/clarifications referencing the CoE rule book

min. number of different troops in combined units

Postby Lord Alisk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Hello, sorry if this is a very silly question.

When one is using combined formations, what are the unit minimums (minima?) one should apply? Sorry, my developed question might be a bit convoluted...

So, for example, in the Burgundian list, you can run mounted gendarmes in units of 8-20, and up to half of their unit can be coustilliers, who, if deployed by themselves, come in units of 6-15.

What I ask then is how does one apply the unit minumums. Does one have to obey the individual unit minimum rules - so in this case, if one wanted a combined formation the effective minumum would be 14 models (8 gendarmes or 6 coustilliers). Or, does just the minimum apply to the 'main' unit, so one could, if one wanted, run 8 gendarmes with 3 coustilliers. Or, does the minimum apply to both added together, eg. 5 gendarmes and 3 coustilliers, for a total of 8, would be legal. Or, do both units have to start with at least 5 models, meaning an effective unit minimum of 10.

I assume for maximum numbers, the original total applies, so, in the above example, if you had 12 gendarmes, you could only have 8 coustilliers in a combined unit, as you could not go above the 'normal' maximum of 20, even though this is rather less than having 1/2 the unit made up of coustilliers.

Apologies again if this is a silly question, or which is answered clearly in the rulebook.

All best,

David.
Lord Alisk

Re: min. number of different troops in combined units

Postby Briselance » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi,

It's not an official answer but I think you apply the minimum required by the unit chosen.

In the case of gendarmes, it's minimum 8 including coustilliers miniatures (which just replace some gendarmes miniatures).

Julie
Briselance

Postby Lord Alisk » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:55 am

Dear Julie,

Many thanks, that is probably the most sensible answer, and seems very reasonable.

All best,

David.
Lord Alisk

Postby Stuart at GEG » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Julie is correct.
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Return to Rules Questions