Overwatch and disembark reaction.

The company to battalion level game from GEG.

Overwatch and disembark reaction.

Postby Darkman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi
Just checking that there is no such thing as overwatch in the rules. There is no option to react when you see the enemy appear. Also disembarking is not an option as a reaction. Example someone is going to shoot at the truck my troops are in so I will get out before they do it.
Thanks
Darkman

Re: Overwatch and disembark reaction.

Postby Gimgamgoo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Darkman wrote:Hi
Just checking that there is no such thing as overwatch in the rules. There is no option to react when you see the enemy appear. Also disembarking is not an option as a reaction. Example someone is going to shoot at the truck my troops are in so I will get out before they do it.
Thanks

Although I'm yet to try a game and I'm trying to digest the rules myself, I would have said overwatch isn't needed. I thought you could always react to anything your opponent tried (with the exception of a first turn CMT) with any unit. In other words, everything is on permanent overwatch - providing you have a command token left.

I also planned on allowing troops to disembark a transport (if they wanted) as a react. It does say troops make a "normal move" to embark and disembark. Reacting units get to move and fire or fire and move. I assume disembarking a transport would be the "move" part of a react.

Hope someone from GEG can clarify it for you (and correct me if I'm guessing it all wrong).
My painting blog: http://gimgamgoo.com
Noob to WW2 gaming since Summer 2015
Gimgamgoo

Postby Darkman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:11 am

I have just reread the reaction section in the rules and was confused by the 4th paragraph. It seems to imply that the reacting player does their first action, then the active player does their whole move and then the reacting player finishes their move.

Question is though it says the reacting player declares his reaction before any dice are thrown. Is that.by the active player?
What happens if the active player fails to activate.

So to summarize. The active player declares his action. The reacting player declares their reaction, then the dice are rolled. Is that right?
Darkman

Postby Darryl Morton » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Darkman

Yes, that's right (sort of!). You can interrupt/react at any point during an opponent's turn, so if you want to be cheesy you can wait for the active player to declare his reactivation and roll for it; if he fails, you don't need to interrupt. If he passes his reactivation roll, then you declare your interruption. I'll leave it to you to decide how gentlemanly that is. :o

Regarding "overwatch", that was the intention behind the reaction by the non-active player i.e. you are always on overwatch.

If you want to disembark as a reaction, then that's acceptable. I haven't got the book in front of me, but can't think of any rules that prevent you from doing that. You could declare that you will disembark, then shoot. In that scenario, assuming you passed the reaction roll, you would disembark, then the active player would take his first declared action, then you would shoot (your second action), then the active player would complete his second (and final) action (if declared).

If both players want to execute two actions in the activation, then the sequence for the interrupted action is:
[list=]Active player declares his intended actions
Reactive player decides to interrupt and declares his intended actions, then rolls d6
Assuming the reactive player is successful, he takes his first action
Then the active player takes his first action
Then the reactive player takes his second action
Finally, the active takes his second action
Assuming the active player didn't lose the initiative, he spends a command token and declares his next actions...
[/list]

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Darryl
Darryl Morton

Postby Gimgamgoo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:04 am

Darryl Morton wrote:Hi Darkman
Yes, that's right (sort of!). You can interrupt/react at any point during an opponent's turn, so if you want to be cheesy you can wait for the active player to declare his reactivation and roll for it; if he fails, you don't need to interrupt. If he passes his reactivation roll, then you declare your interruption. I'll leave it to you to decide how gentlemanly that is. :o

Thanks. That helps with the problem of people having to spend command tokens to react to something that wasn't happening in the first place. As you say, whether that's gentlemanly or not....

Darryl Morton wrote:Hi Darkman
If both players want to execute two actions in the activation, then the sequence for the interrupted action is:
[list=]Active player declares his intended actions
Reactive player decides to interrupt and declares his intended actions, then rolls d6
Assuming the reactive player is successful, he takes his first action
Then the active player takes his first action
Then the reactive player takes his second action
Finally, the active takes his second action
Assuming the active player didn't lose the initiative, he spends a command token and declares his next actions...
[/list]

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Darryl

I'm not sure the second part has helped me. :(

The book seems to be stating that it goes;

Reacting player (one of move or shoot)
    Active Player (gets full action of both move & shoot)
    Reacting player (finishes the other of his move or shoot)

Can you confirm which way it is?
Thanks.
Gimgamgoo

Postby Darryl Morton » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I'll read the book before responding in future! What I quoted above was a previous version of the rules, which didn't make it into the final printed version. If you ever play Stuart or I (particularly me!), you'll find we do that quite a bit. :roll:

You have stated it correctly, which is:

Reacting player (one of move or shoot)
Active Player (gets full action of both move & shoot)
Reacting player (finishes the other of his move or shoot)

cheers,
Darryl :oops:
Darryl Morton

Postby Gimgamgoo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the swift reply.

I've just about got the rules sorted in my head.
I'm going to clear the dining room for Boxing day and that's it... The table will be a WW2 battlefield till the new year.
Hopefully I'll get as many games in as my wife will endure with me. :P
Gimgamgoo

Postby richard » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Hy guys

having read with interest this thread could you please just clarify when the active player rolls for activation. is it before the reactive dice roll or after the reactive player has made their first action...

cheers,,
richard

Postby Stuart at GEG » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Active player declares action.
Reactive player declares reaction
Both players dice (or just reactive if active unit's first activation that turn)
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Darkman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:57 pm

If the active player fails his action does the reacting player still have to react. Example, active player declares he is going to fast move across a gap (he has already activated once) the reacting player says he will shoot when the active player is visible. Active player throws a 1, so doesn't move. What does the reacting player do? 1 nothing or 2 use a command roll (maybe hoping he rolls a 6.
Darkman

Next

Return to Iron Cross