SAGA Vikings!

For pics of Clash of Empires armies, including those you have reorganised from other game systems.

SAGA Vikings!

Postby Cubster » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm very slowly building up a viable force of Vikings (ostensibly to play SAGA, but more likely just to show off on the shelf), with the rank and file coming from Gripping Beast and the leaders & berserkers coming from the outrageously good Redbox Games.

First, some Gripping Beast Bondi, I'll take photos of a couple of others and post them later.

Next, Hvitarnor (Horn Drainer), from Redbox.

Cubster

Re: SAGA Vikings!

Postby Mark at GEG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Lovely, I'd never heard of the Redbox Games guys before this post, very nice minis!
Mark at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Cubster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:05 am

Redbox Games is what you'd call a boutique company, run by a guy called Tre Manor in the US. He sells to the UK, although post times and import duty can be off-putting, but I think he's found a UK supplier now. They're fantasy models, but a sort of 'realistic' fantasy if you get my drift and these are part of the 'Njorns' range, which are Viking-esque character dudes. When I checked his site the other day a lot of the range was missing, so he may have discontinued them or just be out of stock, but it's well worth chatting to Tre about it, he's a decent bloke.

Here's his site - http://red-box-games.com/
Cubster

Postby Cubster » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Here's a couple more Gripping Beast fellas. You can tell they're Bondi because they're on the beach.

Cubster

Postby Mars Ultor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Great job, Cubster! I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that chap swinging the sword! Wonderful painting!
Mars Ultor

Postby Wim VdB » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Excellent painting job!
That must be a fantastic Saga force to look at when finished.
My wargaming blog is at http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/
Wim VdB

Postby Cubster » Thu May 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Still going, honest!

Next up Grimm the Bald, another Redbox Njorn.

Cubster

Postby Cubster » Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 pm

Some more Gripping Beast.

Cubster

Postby Mark at GEG » Wed May 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Lovely as always.
Mark at GEG
Site Admin

Postby Cubster » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Latest batch of three done.

Now I think these illustrate pretty well some little niggles and annoyances I have with Gripping Beast. For the most part the models are okay, but the poses are sometimes very wooden and the extremities look clumsy (see the guy with the red tunic). Also, the rendering of cloth looks crude sometimes and lacking realistic folds and movement. You might also notice the right eye of the guy with the yellow tunic looks a bit squiffy. This is because the model has quite a deep pit right where the eyeball goes, which was hard to paint out.

All in all, I'd say GB are decent enough for rank fillers and a good price, but I think I'll be using Crusader for Dark Age stuff from now on, even though their range is a little more limited. The poses may lack dynamism, but I much prefer their proportions, quality of finishing and the general look of the figures.
Cubster

Next

Return to Painting Gallery