Birthday Scots

For pics of Clash of Empires armies, including those you have reorganised from other game systems.

Birthday Scots

Postby Lord Alisk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 pm

A good friend of mine is building up a Scots army, and I thought I would do my little bit to help out, it being his birthday and all. They are un-based as my friend has not decided how he wants to base his army yet (it is early days!). Anyway, they are Gripping Beast models (the chap with the axe being the one you got for advance ordering a Saga supplement), with a Little Big Men Studios flag and transfers for the three larger shields.

It is fair to warn you all, that my camera is rubbish.

I found them a lot of fun to paint, actually, and am quite pleased how they came out. They make a change to Burgundians and Swiss (or the Viking army I am building up); I was glad to have an excuse not to paint escoffier santons for a few days (my wife has got me turning my middling painting skills to something a bit more festive of late) Any constructive criticism welcomed!

[EDIT - Pictures posted lower down as I am a computer novice and had to be led through by the nose]

This is the first time I have posted pictures on-line - I hope it works!

All best,

David.
Last edited by Lord Alisk on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Alisk

Re: Birthday Scots

Postby Lord Alisk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

How do you make the pictures appear in the text proper, rather than having to copy over the link? I am very new to this - how did Cubster get his nice pictures to appear on the page?

Ho hum, I am a novice to this computer malarkey...

All best,

David.
Lord Alisk

Postby Michael_Tems » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 am

You will have to upload the pictures to a website. As you probably don't have a personal one, you could use a free service such as www.imageshack.us - they will host your pictures and provide you with a link specially tailored for forums such as this.
Michael_Tems

Postby Lord Alisk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:25 am

Hopefully this time it works - many thanks Michael! I may even one day get the hang of this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All best,

David.
Last edited by Lord Alisk on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Alisk

Postby Michael_Tems » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:13 am

It worked wonderfully - and the models are stunning.

I am a absolute fan of the way you made the kilts, I had a go on a friends scottish WWII bagpiper, but it didn't turn out quite as well as these.
The contrast in colours, the size of the checkered pattern - it all just comes together perfectly.

I would love to be on your birthday list. :D
Michael_Tems

Postby Lord Alisk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:45 am

Dear Michael,

I am very glad that you approve!

Regarding the kilts, there was a bit of trial and error involved (some colour combinations looked a lot less good on the model than I thought they would). I have found when trying to paint uniforms and heraldry on my Burgundians that simple designs, generally greatly simplified from their historical version, work best. I tried to paint a kilt with loads of checks more like on a modern kilt, but it just looked a chaotic, busy mess. I guess with modern soldiers one should try and approximate a version of the historical tartan used, which I can imagine is very difficult - what looks great in real life often does not translate well to a 28mm metal miniature. It is really quite liberating to paint Dark Age fellows in that regard!

Many thanks indeed,

David.
Lord Alisk

Postby Michael_Tems » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Lord Alisk wrote: I tried to paint a kilt with loads of checks more like on a modern kilt, but it just looked a chaotic, busy mess. ... what looks great in real life often does not translate well to a 28mm metal miniature.

This was my experience excactly. I just didn't know how to improve it. But you have certainly shown the way!
Michael_Tems

Postby Cubster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Lovely bright colours there, they're really striking.
Cubster

Postby Lord Alisk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks, Cubster - but I am afraid they don't really match up to your models you posted earlier - the detail on yours was really something!

Oh, and I wonder where the 1st picture has gone? [EDIT - FIXED]

All best,

David.
Lord Alisk

Postby Mark at GEG » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 pm

These look really nice.

Mark
Mark at GEG
Site Admin

Return to Painting Gallery