Victorious units panicking in the same phase

Ask questions, get clarifications, and discuss how the Clash of Empires rules work.

Victorious units panicking in the same phase

Postby Mars Ultor » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:28 pm

We've just about cleared up our understanding of all the rules, but I've come upon this situation in quite a few games and I'm not sure if this should be happening:

Several units fighting in a battleline one-on-one against an opposing unit and it comes to the Combat Outcomes phase. Let's say that my unit A wins their combat and their opponent flees, and unit A keeps its position in the line and doesn't pursue. However my unit B loses and breaks, causing my victorious unit A to take a ML test, which it fails and then flees as well.

Should this be happening? It doesn't feel right on one level. I know that panic can spread, yada, yada, etc, etc, BUT unit A is now facing no opponent - in fact they drove their opponent away and are flushed with victory. But seconds later, they're running. And whereas I had driven the opponent away, now I have no battle line to speak of. I can see it both ways, kind of...but does it really come down to "YEA, we won! Oh, wait...holy crap - RUN!!"?

In your explanation, can you also reference the rulebook that supports your conclusion.

Thanks!!
Mars Ultor

Re: Victorious units panicking in the same phase

Postby Mars Ultor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:26 pm

For those asking the same question, I happened on the experimental rule "Resilience in Victory" included in the errata addresses this, or at least mitigates the effect somewhat (upward shift on the morale chart). May not stop it from happening, but hopefully will lead to a "retreat and disrupted".
Mars Ultor

Postby Socalwarhammer » Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 am

Early on, we found it to be too rough on victorious units to then be hammered by a poor moral test when a friendly unit ran away from the same enemy. So what we did was this...

1. If multiple units are fighting the same enemy (who losses combat), the allied unit who won isn't required to make a moral test for his breaking friend. In addition- the friend who lost combat is allowed to re-roll his failed panic check for ML- we figured they were less likely to run off in this particular situation (i.e. having solid friends on your flank is always good). We do have one exception to this house rule- the unit doesn't get a re-roll if it is currently being flanked by an enemy.

2. If a unit (in battle line per se) wins a combat against a unit, and is adjacent (within say 2 inches) of a friend who breaks combat, if that unit fails its ML test for panic- it doesn't flee, it instead becomes disrupted (and does not flee), but may flee if the controlling player chooses to do so. Our thought was given the momentum of the victory being interrupted as confusion passes throughout the unit, but far too many players were having victorious units flee in a domino effect due to one or two friendly units breaking. :D

We typically play 2000-2500 point games and it seems to keep units in the action for enough time to really mix it up- but in the end units tend to break when pressured by good tactics or maneuvering.

I really just wish more guys were playing COE in the Pacific Northwest.
Socalwarhammer

Postby Mars Ultor » Tue May 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks for your answer, Pat. Good suggestions.

Yep, the ancients community is truly fragmented, with more rule sets coming out with each new moon. CoE is a pretty natural successor to WAB, and I hope that the authors will keep plugging away at it. Right now in Atlanta we have a small group that doesn't meet that regularly, but we do like the game and have interested ancients gamers.

Andy
Mars Ultor

Return to General Discussion