A Question about Medieval Livery

Ask questions, get clarifications, and discuss how the Clash of Empires rules work.

A Question about Medieval Livery

Postby Cubster » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:52 am

Basically I'm trying to find out when it became commonplace for a soldier to wear his lord's livery in battle.

I'm painting up some archers to use as very early 12th century Kingdom of Antioch dudes. My first instinct was to paint them up in whatever colours because I didn't think they would have had specific liveries then, but now I'm starting to question.

I know that by the 3rd Crusade - the end of that century - it was more common, but I'm a bit uncertain of when it began.

Anyone know?

And yes Janner, I'm looking at you.
Cubster

Re: A Question about Medieval Livery

Postby Janner » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Cubs,

I'd seen you'd got a pretty good response of LAF, but yes, the giving of robes (such as a Michaelmas) was a common way for a lord to reward his household troops. I suspect this became less prevalent to lower one went down the social scale/decreasing wealth of the patron.

I would be very comfortable fielding troops in a, somewhat haphazard, livery in the early twelfth century, eg shields showing a similar design matched with the off painted helm in the same colour scheme, with commanders (and perhaps musicians) in livery.

When it comes to archers, you might consider a field sign rather than livery.
Janner

Postby Cubster » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:12 am

Two days ... two days I've been waiting.

And where have you been young man? Off galavanting with your friends no doubt, hanging round the shopping mall and listening to rap music?

Well, I hope your conscience can stand the thought of me sat here, unmoving, staring at the screen 24hrs a day waiting for some sign.

Shameful.

Shameful.
Cubster

Postby Janner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm

And now another four days before a come back. You just can't get the staff, I know :?

:lol: :lol:
Janner

Postby Cubster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Cubster

Postby Janner » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 am

Probably a god time to quit that diet now. By the way, someone's nicked your mouse mat :shock:
Janner

Return to General Discussion