Late Roman Legionary and Auxilliary missile troops

For feedback, questions and ideas about army lists from the rule book, website or sourcebooks

Late Roman Legionary and Auxilliary missile troops

Postby Malborough1704 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:24 am

My question is regarding the Late Roman Legionary and Auxilliary lists. These units are core units in the lists. My reading of the available historical material seems to suggest that by the time of the Emperor Constantine each legion, learning from the failure of the Príncipe to have long range missile troops within the legion and relying on the plum carried by the legionary, would have had about 25%-30% missile troops WITHIN the legionary organisation as a sub unit. One century of javelin men to skirmish and a century of bowmen for longer range missile support. The current army list does not seem to make any provision for missile armed sub units with the legion or Auxilliary units. The missile troops are, on the contrary, listed as separate support units. Though such missile units clearly existed I ask where are the missile troops acting as sub units within a legion or Auxilliary infantry formation?
Malborough1704

Re: Late Roman Legionary and Auxilliary missile troops

Postby simon boulton » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:21 pm

I would have expected the list to have enabled you to equip a third or quarter of the unit with bows. The Justinian Byzantine list allows a third of the unit to exchange shield and spear for composite bow and shield.
simon boulton

Return to Army List Discussion