Trained Phalanx

For feedback, questions and ideas about army lists from the rule book, website or sourcebooks

Trained Phalanx

Postby lerostratos » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Hello,
After several games, especially against Romans with Seleucids or Alexandrian's armies, something appeared a little strange : trained phalanx have the same manoeuvrability than romans cohorts. Of course they do have to test for oblique movement with march, but with a 9+2 general it is not difficult.
Taking in account that phalanx is a very special formation, my opponent suggest an optional rule that lessen this manoeuvrability.
Maybe it should be as simple as putting a -2 malus for phalanx on any wheel or oblique with a march, and a standard test if they are drilled.
I ask the community : have you the same feeling about this too high manoeuvrability with march ? Solution proposal, is it satisfying ?
Thanks,
Bruno
lerostratos

Re: Trained Phalanx

Postby Mars Ultor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 pm

IIt should be less manouverable than the Roman maniple - they have those pikes to raise and lower, whereas a Roman only has to run to a new position with his unit.
Mars Ultor

Postby Stuart at GEG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I agree with this.

So, the solution might be an addition to point d/ in the Trained Phalanx rules

d/ Trained phalanxes may turn 90 and 180 and they may wheel/oblique while marching if they pass the required DL test with a -2 penalty. Drilled and Trained phalanxes do not suffer the -2 penalty.

I've considered this issue for a while now, and I think that this could be a simple solution.
Stuart at GEG
Site Admin

Postby lerostratos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks Stuart !
We will use this as an experimental rule and after several games will tell you the result...
As Seleucid is a "club army" this could not be too long.
Lero
lerostratos

Return to Army List Discussion